Below are ten of the most noteworthy of Marvel's July 2015 solicits. Be sure to check out Newsarama for the full list.
1. Ant-Man Returns (In Time For A Movie) - After taking a month off in June, Nick Spencer's fantastic series Ant-Man returns to comic shop shelves just in time for his cinematic debut. Marvel enjoys their corporate synergy, while we get to enjoy one of their better titles once again.
ANT-MAN ANNUAL #1
NICK SPENCER (W)
RAMON ROSASNAS & Brent Schoonover (A)
Cover by DAVID MARQUEZ
• Just in time for the ANT-MAN movie (funny, that), it’s the team-up you’ve been waiting for: Scott Lang and Hank Pym, together again! Ant-bros!
• A classic villain makes his dreaded return!
• And a new hero is born! Well, not born, really -- he’s already an adult. Nobody wants to read about a super-baby. (Or do they?)
2. The Lando System? - No, Lando's not a system. He's a guy. And that guy is getting one of his own comic series from Marvel this July! With a great writer like Charles Soule attached, it's safe to say that one of Star Wars most beloved characters is in good hands.
STAR WARS: LANDO #1 & 2 (OF 5)
CHARLES SOULE (W)
ALEX MALEEV (A)
You know him...you love him...now, join him for his biggest caper as master of charm Lando Calrissian gets his very own comic book! Before he joined the rebellion, before he ran Cloud City, Lando made his way in the galaxy getting by on some swindles, some swagger, and a smile. Lobot at his side, Lando has a plan to steal a very valuable ship...but has he bitten off more than he can chew? Writer Charles Soule (DEATH OF WOLVERINE, INHUMAN, SHE-HULK) and artist Alex Maleev (DAREDEVIL, SPIDER-WOMAN, MOON KNIGHT) bring us the tale of a scoundrel in his natural element—trouble!
3. A New Guide to Marvel's Universe - Taking a page from Grant Morrison's playbook, Marvel is set to release a new guidebook to their own multiverse amidst the chaos of Secret Wars. Essentially, this will serve as a guide for any readers not sure about the background of every single character and event involved. One hopes they recommend to readers which graphic novels to pick up to get more out of said guidebook.
SECRET WARS: OFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE #1
Written by THE OHOTMU TEAM, LED BY MIKE O’SULLIVAN & JEFF CHRISTIANSEN
Cover by MIKE McKONE
Worlds are colliding! Both on Battleworld, and in the SECRET WARS OFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE #1 – a collection of all-new Profiles! Journey through Marvel’s multiverse:
Old Man Logan! The Ultimate Universe’s Spider-Man (Miles Morales)! The Age of Ultron! Weirdworld! The Spider-Verse event! The Age of Apocalypse’s Nightcrawler! Plus: profiles of the characters and events at the core of the Secret Wars: the Incursions of Earths, Namor’s Cabal, the Future Foundation kids and more! Also featuring key participants in previous Secret Wars: Volcana (Marsha Rosenberg), Thunderball (Eliot Franklin), the healer Zsaji, the Dark Elf Kurse, original Battleworld refugee Puff the dragon, and the Secret Wars II event itself! And because we love you: the Pet Avengers’ Throg, Lady Deadpool, Teen Hulk…and Obnoxio the Clown?!
4. Another Marvel Event Returns - As is probably obvious by now, most of the lands of the upcoming Battleworld in Secret Wars are comprised of event books which Marvel has published over the years. One of those events is the oft-ignored Siege. Any similarities to the event seem to be in name only as this sounds like one of the more promising tie-ins.
SIEGE #1 & 2
KIERON GILLEN (w)
FILIPE ANDRADE (a)
THEY CAN’T EVER WIN. THEY CAN’T AFFORD TO LOSE.
• THE SHIELD is the only thing that protects the more civilized areas of Battleworld from the ZOMBIE HORDES, DEATH MACHINES, AND ANNIHILATION WAVES.
• Anyone who annoys Doom gets sent to The Shield. Anyone who gets sent to the Shield deals with ABIGAIL BRAND.
• Miss America, Lady Katherine, Kang the Conqueror, Leah Shieldmen, the Endless Summers Company, Leonardo Da Vinci and a cast of thousands will fight to the death to keep Battleworld safe. But don’t worry, Kieron Gillen is writing this book, so I’m sure everything will end happily for everyone.
• “Imagine NextWave as a tragedy,” says Kieron, if anyone asks him about it.
5. Battleworld Gets its own Thunderbolts - You may remember Josh Williamson, the winner of last year's Rexie for Best New Talent? The writer behind THREE hit Image books: Ghosted, Birthright, and Nailbiter? Well now he gets to enter Battleworld in his own series, and this one features a team of anti-heroes on a secret mission. Sounds like Secret Wars has a Thunderbolts.
RED SKULL #1 (OF 3)
JOSHUA WILLIAMS (w)
LUCA PIZZARI (a)
• One of the most vile villains of the Marvel Universe gets his very own twisted Secret Wars series!
• Red Skull should be dead but his legend grows, so a team of villains that includes Winter Soldier, Magneto and Lady Deathstrike are sent on a dangerous odyssey to the Deadlands to prove it…but no one ever comes back alive from the Deadlands!
• Forced to overcome zombies, Ultron drones and the Annihilation Wave, the rag-tag team of villains will find that they may bitten off more than they can chew…
6. The War Within The War - Charles Soule has two new series starting in July from Marvel. While the Star Wars one is arguably more exciting, the return of Civil War less than a year before the film of the same name has all the makings of bestseller. Luckily Soule's concept for the book sounds too good to miss.
CIVIL WAR #1
CHARLES SOULE (w)
LEINIL FRANCIS YU (a/C)
• The Civil War never ended. Welcome to the Warzone, where six years of non-stop battle between the forces of the Blue and the Iron have split the nation down its center, utterly transforming it. In a world of new alliances and strange enemies, President Tony Stark and General Steve Rogers meet to make one last attempt at peace.
7. Hydra Enters the Secret Wars - Rick Remender has had a lot to say about Hydra lately, particularly in his recent run on All-New Captain America. Now the evil Nazi organization returns in Secret Wars, staking out one of the countries of Battleworld and forging their own utopia.
HAIL HYDRA #1
RICK REMENDER (w)
ROLAND BOSCHI (a/C)
• Peace Through Strength! Honor Through Obedience! Continuance Through Conformity!
• Hail Hydra! Immortal Hydra! We shall never be destroyed!
• Cut off one limb, and two shall take its place!
• We serve none but the Master—as the world shall soon serve us!
• It is a beautiful Utopia that Hydra has created.
• But when a lone figure from outside the Regime appears, could his very presence be enough to bring this perfect society to its ruin?
8. Shane's Favorite X-men Story Returns (Again) - If there is one X-men event that Marvel loves to return to again and again, it's Age of Apocalypse. Although, when you have only one great X-men event from the 1990's, it makes sense that you'd want to capitalize on its success over and over. To say I'm excited for this one would be an understatement. Love the return to the original art style.
AGE OF APOCALYPSE #1
FABIAN NICIEZA (w)
GERARDO SANDOVAL (a/C)
• His war has been won. The few humans left alive are enslaved, the mutant rebellion crushed. EN SABAH NUR, the APOCALYPSE, rules his BATTLEWORLD kingdom without mercy, but the terrorist X-MEN plan to end his reign. Success means finding one very special mutant named CYPHER and unleashing a weapon that will kill Apocalypse -- and possibly all mutants, too!
9. The Marvel Netflix Properties See Reprints - You may have missed this, but Marvel's new Netflix series, Daredevil, is pretty popular. Though they will not get their own series for over a year, Marvel is already reprinting some comics for new readers to catch up on the exploits of Luke Cage and Iron Fist. Daredevil is also seeing some reprints to aid the comic shop workers who have undoubtedly seen an influx of new readers curious about the character.
POWER MAN & IRON FIST EPIC COLLECTION: HEROES FOR HIRE TPB
Written by MARY JO DUFFY with CHRIS CLAREMONT, ED HANNIGAN, BOB LAYTON & STEVEN GRANT
Penciled by KERRY GAMMILL with JOHN BYRNE, TREVOR VON EEDEN, MIKE ZECK, SAL BUSCEMA, LEE ELIAS, MARIE SEVERIN & ALAN WEISS
Marvel’s stronger-than-steel man of the streets, Luke Cage, partners with the mystic kung-fu master Iron Fist in the beginning of one of the greatest teams in comic-book history! Together, Power Man and Iron Fist are heroes for hire, taking on any any job, any challenge — so long as their clients can meet the price. But both heroes have long pasts and old foes out to destroy them. Between those menaces and making ends meet, it’s a life short on downtime and long on action! This inaugural Epic Collection features the beginning of our heroes’ partnership; guest appearances by the X-Men, and Colleen Wing and Misty Knight — the Daughters of the Dragon; and classic villains including Nightshade, Bushmaster and Sabretooth! Collecting POWER MAN #48-49 and POWER MAN & IRON FIST (1978) #50-70.
DAREDEVIL: TYPHOID’S KISS TPB
Written by ANN NOCENTI & STEVE LIGHTLE
Penciled by JOHN VAN FLEET, STEVE LIGHTLE, FRED HARPER & JAMES FRY
Cover by JOE MADUREIRA
Daredevil’s craziest ex-girlfriend, Typhoid Mary, stars in her own twisted fairy tale! Peek inside the crowded head of Mary Walker — whose dissociative identity disorder, and mutant talents for telekinesis and pyrokinesis, are a deadly combination. But could the psionic psycho become a force for good when she fights for women too powerless to defend themselves? Typhoid’s appetite for vengeance draws the attention of Ghost Rider, while her growing contempt for men places Daredevil and Wolverine in the line of fire. Meanwhile, it’s bad news for Peter Parker when he befriends the benign Mary, only for her newly discovered third identity to manifest itself. Spidey sure won’t want to say Bloody Mary three times! Collecting TYPHOID #1-4, MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS (1988) #150-151 and SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN (1976) #213-214 — plus material from MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS (1988) #109-116 and #123-130, and GIRL COMICS (2010) #3.
10. Upcoming Movies Also See Reprints - Yay for all this corporate synergy in July! Though July sees Ant-Man hit the big screen, Marvel is prepping for readers to find new interest in upcoming characters Doctor Strange and Black Panther. Each characters begin to see classic runs collected. Could new on-goings be far behind?
DOCTOR STRANGE: DON’T PAY THE FERRYMAN TPB
Written by ROGER STERN & PETER B. GILLIS
Penciled by SAL BUSCEMA & CHRIS WARNER
Cover by MIKE MIGNOLA
Flames of the Faltine! Is it getting hot in here, or is it just Mephisto? When Doctor Strange joins Reed and Sue Richards in battle with the Lord of Lies, the enchanting sorceress Topaz is freed from hell. But half her soul remains in torment. Can Strange complete her — or will he fall prey first to a siren’s song? Or perhaps to a feral feline demon? With a key part of his costume clawed to pieces, Stephen’s going to need a new Cloak — but when the unholy Urthona strikes, he might need a new body, too! The old saying goes, “Don’t pay the ferryman until you get to the other side.” But before Strange can reach it, there might just be a new Sorcerer Supreme! Collecting DOCTOR STRANGE (1974) #75-81.
BLACK PANTHER BY CHRISTOPHER PRIEST: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION VOL. 1 TPB
Written by CHRISTOPHER PRIEST & JOE QUESADA
Penciled by MARK TEXEIRA, VINCE EVANS, JOE JUSKO, MIKE MANLEY, MARK BRIGHT & SAL VELLUTO
Cover by JOE QUESADA
Black Panther reinvented as a sharp and witty political satire? Believe it! T’Challa is the man with the plan as Christopher Priest puts the emphasis on the Wakandan king’s reputation as the ultimate statesman, as seen through the eyes of the U.S. government’s Everett K. Ross. As the Panther investigates a murder in New York, Ross plays Devil’s Advocate in an encounter with Mephisto, and a new regime seizes control in Wakanda. When the truth behind the coup becomes clear, T’Challa finds himself an enemy of the state — and a major revelation threatens to destroy his relationship with the Avengers! Plus: Meet Queen Divine Justice — is she ready to join T’Challa’s deadly crew of female bodyguards, the Dora Milaje? Are they ready for her? Hold onto your pants, because Ross sure can’t! Collecting BLACK PANTHER (1998) #1-17.
What are you excited to see from Marvel this July? When do you think Secret Wars will finally come to a close? What's next for Marvel? Let us know in the comments below!