Below, you will find my picks for the 10 most note-worthy of Marvel's June offerings in no particular order. Thanks to Newsarama for providing the solicits, and be sure to check out the full listing on their site by clicking here.
1. Secret Wars Continues - Marvel's biggest crossover event in years barrels onward in June, with the next two issues of Secret Wars. The solicits tell us absolutely nothing...which is kind of nice, but also a tad frustrating.
SECRET WARS #3 (OF 8)
JONATHAN HICKMAN (w)
ESAD RIBIC (a)
Cover by ALEX ROSS
ALL THE DEVILS DANCE!
SECRET WARS #4 (OF 8)
JONATHAN HICKMAN (w)
ESAD RIBIC (a)
Cover by ALEX ROSS
ALL THE ANGELS SING!
2. Cosmic Marvel is No More - One of the unforeseen effects of Secret Wars is going to be the disappearance of Marvel's Cosmic Universe. Apparently the incursions have wiped out everything but the Earth and Knowhere, leaving Silver Surfer to explore what remains in space. If nothing else, the art will be gorgeous.
SILVER SURFER #13
DAN SLOTT (w)
MICHAEL ALLRED (a/C)
• Time ran out and the Marvel Universe died. From the edge of Battleworld to the outskirts of all infinity, every planet, moon, and star has been expunged. Every life force has been extinguished. There are NO survivors...
•...except the Surfer, Dawn, and Toomie. How did they pull this off? And, more importantly, can they figure out a way to bring everything BACK?
• If you care about the fate and future of the Cosmic corners of the Marvel Universe, you cannot miss this comic!
3. The Final Days - Some of these sollicits may have given us an unintentional look at the future of Marvel after Secret Wars. A number of books are being labelled as "The Last Days of...", leading one to wonder: Are these books taking place before Secret Wars...or is that much rumored reboot of Marvel just around the corner?
MS. MARVEL #16
G. WILLOW WILSON (w)
ADRIAN ALPHONA (a)
COVER BY KRIS ANKA
•When the world is about to end, do you still keep fighting?
•From the moment Kamala put on her costume, she’s been challenged, but nothing has prepared her for this: the Last Days of the Marvel Universe.
•Fists up, let’s do this, Jersey City.
•Plus a VERY special guest appearance fans have been clamoring for!
4. Battleworld Patrolled by Thors - In this new Marvel universe of Battleworld, there has to be a police force of some kind, right? Enter every single Thor that has ever been featured in a Marvel comic. From Beta Ray Bill to female Thor to Throg, all of them are present. Thor is ending for this, but thank God Jason Aaron is still on board!
JASON AARON (w)
CHRISTOPHER SPROUSE (a/C)
• The Thors of every domain, together in one book! As cosmic cops!
•Whenever there’s trouble on Battleworld, the Thors answer the call. But a string of mysterious murders leaves some of them asking questions that may unravel all of reality!
•A hard-hitting Marvel Comics police drama. With hammers. Lots and lots of hammers.
5. DC Heroes in Secret Wars? - Of course Marvel can't get through their biggest event ever without bringing in the competition too, right? Or at least some form of it. The Squadron Supreme, Marvel's analogues of the Justice League, have their own section of Battleworld, but things aren't hunky dory. This almost feels like Marvel's play on the New 52 as this is a brand new version of the Squadron.
SQUADRON SINISTER #1
MARC GUGGENHEIM (w)
CARLOS PACHECO (a/C)
• They’re the WORLD’S GREATEST… VILLAINS. The SQUADRON SINISTER. And they’re taking Battleworld by force in this Secret Wars tie-in for fans of crime epics like The Godfather, The Sopranos and Sons of Anarchy. But will controlling one Domain be enough for Hyperion and his gang?
6. Your Favorite Marvel Cartoon Returns! - Easily the only decent thing to come from comics in the 90's was X-men. For many, their first engagement with the mutant superheroes was through the popular animated series at the time. That team returns with Secret Wars, and while it doesn't explicitly say it's the cartoon, fans of that series will find this a must read.
X-MEN ‘92 #1
CHRIS SIMS & CHAD BOWERS (w)
SCOTT KOBLISH (a)
Cover by PEPE LARRAZ
• Everyone’s favorite version of the X-Men from the ’90s is back!
• When Baron Kelly charges the Clear Mountain Project and it’s mysterious new director with “mutant rehabilitation,” it’s up to the X-Men to investigate!
• PLUS: Free Range Sentiels?!?
7. Return of the Midnight Sons! - Attention all fans of perhaps the least-paid-attention-to part of the Marvel Universe: your favorite monsters are coming back! A form of the Midnight Sons returns in Secret Wars, this time as the Howling Commandos of Battleworld! This title has the potential to be one of the more unique, fun comics in this crossover.
MRS. DEADPOOL AND THE HOWLING COMMANDOS #1
GERRY DUGGAN (w)
SALVADOR ESPIN (a)
• She is Shiklah—undisputed Queen of the Monster Metropolis below Manhattan!
• In the world that was, she married Deadpool, the Merc with the Mouth...
• ...But nothing on Battleworld is quite as it was.
• Now, she commands the Howling Commandos: Werewolf By Night! Frankenstein’s Monster! The Living Mummy! Man-Thing! And Marcus the Centaur!
• What would her late husband think of that???
8. Another Guardian Gets a Solo Book - One of the more surprising cancellations in the wake of Secret Wars is Rocket Raccoon, which has quite a following online. That cancellation results in the beginning of yet another spin-off of Guardians, with Rocket's best buddy Groot taking the spotlight (for a short time). Certain dialogue restraints seem obvious, but perhaps the way this book navigates such issues will make things interesting.
JEFF LOVENESS (W)
BRIAN KESINGER (A)
Cover by DECLAN SHALVEY
• For the first time ever, the most famous talking-tree-thing in the Marvel Universe is starring in his own series! You might recognize him from Guardians of the Galaxy, the biggest movie of 2014.
• When Rocket and Groot are on an intergalactic roadtrip and calamity strikes, the two get separated – and for the first time in years, Groot’s on his own!
• Written by comedic ace Jeff Loveness (Jimmy Kimmel Live!) and drawn by Marvel Comics newcomer Brian Kesinger (Disney Animation), get a front row seat for EXPLOSIONS, SPACE SHARKS, ALIENS, AND INTERGALACTIC HITCHIKING (YEAH, BABY! YOU READ THAT RIGHT.)!
• Whatever may be coming Groot’s way, one thing’s for sure -- it’s going to be a GROOT adventure!
9. More Howard the Duck for You - As much as James Gunn and Kevin Fiege insist Howard's post-credits appearance was not a hint at something larger to come, Marvel sure is content to keep pushing out material related to Howard the Duck. Right on the heels of the reprinting of the Howard the Duck Omnibus, a new trade paperback collection of the Master of Quack-Fu's appearances will be coming this summer.
HOWARD THE DUCK: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION VOL. 1 TPB
Written by STEVE GERBER
Penciled by VAL MAYERIK, FRANK BRUNNER, JOHN BUSCEMA, GENE COLAN, SAL BUSCEMA & MORE
Cover by FRANK BRUNNER
Get the full story of how Marvel’s most notorious movie star became trapped in a world he never made! Howard the Duck takes an adventure into fear when he’s plucked from Duckworld and finds himself on Earth, bill to proboscis with the melancholy muck-monster Man-Thing! Stuck here on a planet of hairless apes, the furious fowl forges a future for himself in, of all places, Cleveland. But the would-be Master of Quack Fu will have his wings full hanging out with Spider-Man — and waging “waaaugh” with madcap menaces like the Space Turnip, the Cookie Creature, the Beaver and Doctor Bong. Will that earn him a spot on the Defenders? Better yet, Howard for president! Collecting FEAR #19, MAN-THING (1974) #1, HOWARD THE DUCK (1976) #1-16 and ANNUAL #1, MARVEL TREASURY EDITION #12, and material from GIANT-SIZE MAN-THING #4-5.
10. Prepare for Marvel's Next Movie - Not only is Howard the Duck getting some reprints, but Marvel wants you to be sure you are prepared for their final film of Phase Two of the Cinematic Universe. Though this Ant-Man collection features the adventures of Hank Pym as opposed to Scott Lang, this will be an easy way for Marvel to make a quick buck off interest in their latest film outing.
ANT-MAN/GIANT-MAN EPIC COLLECTION: THE MAN IN THE ANT HILL TPB
Written by STAN LEE & LARRY LIEBER with ERNIE HART
Penciled by JACK KIRBY, DON HECK, DICK AYERS & LARRY LIEBER
Cover by JACK KIRBY
A man of action and a man of science, Dr. Henry Pym invented an amazing growth serum and a cybernetic helmet, and with them he became — the Astonishing Ant-Man! Pym soon teamed with Janet Van Dyne, the winsome Wasp, and the two tiny titans went on to battle an array of mini- and maxi-sized menaces from the Scarlet Beetle to the Black Knight! But adventures in the microscopic world weren’t enough for one of the Marvel Age’s first super heroes. Soon, Ant-Man became the biggest Avenger there ever was — Giant-Man! And his foundational adventures are all here in this debut Epic Collection! Collecting the Ant-Man, Giant-Man and Wasp material from TALES TO ASTONISH (1959) #27 and #35-59.
That's it for this month! What Secret Wars titles are you interested in from Marvel this June? Or are you going to drop everything because you're tired of crossovers? Let us know and why in the comments below!