It's that time of the month again: comics solicitations! As DC has already told us what is coming April (and May) for its event Convergence, that just leaves us with Marvel for this month. You can check out the DC solicits here, here, here, and here! So what has Marvel got coming for us in three months? A lot more than in March, but most of that is in the form of quite a few books coming to an end. Much of this is being done as Marvel prepares to launch into this summer's event, but some of it could point to some restructuring of titles and creative teams after the summer's end.
Below you can find my 10 most noteworthy of Marvel's April solicits in no particular order. Thanks to Newsarama for the solicits. Be sure to click the link to check out the full title listing.
1. Deadpool Dies...Again - We've seen it happen before and now we are seeing it again...that seems to be the problem with a near-unlimited healing factor. Deadpool is once again biting the dust, bringing an end to a comic that began at the onset of Marvel NOW. Sure to be a big seller.
DEADPOOL NUMBER 250! (A.K.A. issue #45)
GERRY DUGGAN, BRIAN POSEHN, BEN ACKER, BEN BLACKER, NICK GIOVANETTI, PAUL SCHEER, JASON MANTZOUKAS, MIKE DRUCKER, & MORE (w)
MIKE HAWTHORNE, SCOTT KOBLISH, & MORE (a)
That’s right—if you add together all the Deadpool series (creatively) issue 45 is the big 250th issue of Deadpool! What better way to celebrate than to end the series? In our over-sized main story, ULTIMATUM comes at Deadpool for revenge, so he has no choice but to take them on—ALL OF THEM. Then, in an Infinity Gauntlet crossover, what would Deadpool do if he got the six gems from Thanos? Plus: a slew of stories showcasing Deadpool’s closest friends and allies by special guest writers! Also, SPOILER: Deadpool dies at the end of the issue.
2. Ultimate Spider-man Ends....Again - Poor Miles Morales just can't catch a break. Crossovers, deaths of family members, and now TWO series coming to a close. Hopefully once this Spider-man is over in the 616 Universe, he won't have to have his series start over once again.
MILES MORALES: ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #12
BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (W)
DAVID MARQUEZ (A/C)
THE EPIC CONCLUSION!
• Is this the end?
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
3. Avengers/New Avengers End....Again - Yes. Another ending for April. This time it's the close of Jonathan Hickman's two year run on both Avengers and New Avengers. While both will likely read better in trade, it has been a wild ride, one which will lead us right into the already much hyped Secret Wars. You will not want to miss this.
JONATHAN HICKMAN (W)
MIKE DEODATO (A)
Cover by DUSTIN WEAVER
NEW AVENGERS #33
JONATHAN HICKMAN (W)
KEV WALKER (A)
Cover by DUSTIN WEAVER
4. Fantastic Four Ends...Yes, Again - Though Marvel's solicit calls this a controversial move, most saw this coming a mile away. James Robinson's run on Fantastic Four comes to a close with yet another re-numbering and final issue for the long-running title. With so much bad blood between Marvel and FOX over the film rights to these characters, this series may actually be gone for quite a while.
FANTASTIC FOUR #645
JAMES ROBINSON (W)
LEONARD KIRK (A/C)
THE MOST CONTROVERSIAL FANTASTIC FOUR STORY CONCLUDES IN AN EXTRA-SIZED SPECIAL!
• Will the Fantastic Four defeat The Quiet Man and the corrupted forces of the Heroes Reborn universe?
• Will Johnny get his powers back? Will Reed and Sue be a family again?
• Will this be the end or will this be 4ever?!
5. Get Ready for More Ultron! - As April puts us less than a month away from Marvel's most anticipated movie of the summer, Avengers: Age of Ultron, expect the villainous robot to become much more of a presence in your Local Comic Shop. This Ultron story sees different Avengers from different times united to take on the robot. Think Exiles but with Avengers. Could be awesome.
AVENGERS: ULTRON FOREVER #1
AL EWING (W)
ALAN DAVIS (A/C)
PART 1 OF 3 – THE START OF A THREE-PART AVENGERS EVENT!
• 500 years into the future, Ultron has won. Humanity is all but extinct - dead or enslaved by the Ultron Singularity.
• Now, seven Avengers are brought through time by Doctor Doom to battle the machine god for the fate of the cosmos... or die trying!
• It begins here - an epic adventure spanning the past and future of the Avengers!
6. Howard the Duck Gets Meta - So I'm pretty pumped for Marvel's new Howard the Duck series. Chip Zdarsky is a funny writer and a great storyteller. April's issue gets the Guardians of the Galaxy and the Collector involved. Hopefully the book is as self aware as the solicits.
HOWARD THE DUCK #2
CHIP ZDARSKY (W)
JOE QUINONES (A)
• Howard’s first big case has taken him across the universe and landed him in the clutches of THE COLLECTOR!
• But he’s not alone as the very popular ROCKET RACOON is a prisoner as well! Have you ever seen a comic book sequel to a post-credits scene in a movie?
• Well, you will now! Join comics legend STAN LEE in reading this issue (I’m assuming he’ll read it. Hi Stan!)!
7. Ant-Man Meets Miami Vice - The debut of Nick Spencer's Ant-Man was a bit of a surprise. Not only was the book a big seller, but it is quite possibly the strongest debut issue of the year so far. The light-hearted tone of that issue seems to continue all the way through April as we see Scott Lang's move to Miami pay off in one of the best covers from all of Marvel's solicits for this month.
NICK SPENCER (W)
RAMON ROSANAS (A)
• Ant-Man has to pull off an impossible break-in, but he can’t do it alone. Which means... he’s gonna need a new gang!
• Er, of criminals. New gang of criminals. Probably should mention that part.
• This is all because of that stupid mysterious bad guy we can’t tell you about. Man, that is annoying. • Out with it already, right? Comics.
8. Silver Surfer has Something Special Coming - The solicit for April's issue of Silver Surfer is a bit mysterious. Not only does the book see the price jump up to $5, but it promises to be one of the most memorable Marvel comics you will ever read...a special issue of some sort. Jabs at DC are even taken. No idea what's in store, but amazing art is almost all but certain.
SILVER SURFER #11
DAN SLOTT (W)
MIKE ALLRED (A/C)
“Never After” – SPECIAL OVERSIZED ISSUE!
• Trapped in time, lost in space, with alien threats forever on the attack, and Paradise just outside his reach...
• ...what terrible price will the Surfer pay to fulfill his most selfless promise?
• A twist on a Sci-Fi classic that could only be told through sequential art. Forget “sideways issues” and “silent issues”, Slott & Allred are bringing you a modern-day Marvel comic you’ll be talking about for years to come.
9. Prepare for Secret Wars - So not only can we expect lots of Ultron this summer in our comics, but you can also safely bet on lots of stuff tied to Secret Wars, the event set to lead Marvel into an all new era. It all begins in April with a trade paperback with various issues to prepare readers for the upcoming event. What's included gives a good clue as to what we can expect.
SECRET WARS PRELUDE TPB
Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN, JIM SHOOTER & BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
Penciled by STEVE EPTING, MIKE ZECK, RYAN STEGMAN, SARA PICHELLI & ESAD RIBIC
Cover by DALE KEOWN
Follow the path to 2015’s event to end all events, Secret Wars — an epic more than 30 years in the making! From the senses-staggering climax of 1984’s original SECRET WARS saga, to the origin of Miles Morales, the new Ultimate Spider-Man, it’s all been leading up to this. And Marvel’s master planner, Jonathan Hickman, has long been planting seeds for the story only he could write. The Ultimates face an enemy more powerful than the gods — and Reed Richards is its leader! Doctor Doom faces threats from a universe he created! And the Illuminati reunite to face the reality-destroying threat of the Incursions! War is coming — be ready! Collecting NEW AVENGERS (2013) #1-3, MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS #10-12, FANTASTIC FOUR (1961) #611, ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN (2011) #1 and ULTIMATE COMICS ULTIMATES #4.
10. Marvel Follows Others' Example - Image Comics is well know for reprinting the first issues of its series for only $1. Not only does it help to give new readers a cheap alternative, but it also turns them onto some great comics. DC has done this a bit with books like Gotham Central and now Marvel is joining in. Introducing True Believers Books. Titles to be reprinted for $1 include Marvel Zombies, Powers, Age of Apocalypse, and Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-man
What can you get for a dollar? How about the Marvel Universe? Marvel is proud to present TRUE BELIEVERS – special introductory comics for the low price of only $1 each. Coming this April your window into the biggest stories in Marvel history costs only a buck! Enter the world of Civil War, Age of Apocalypse, Old Man Logan, Planet Hulk, the critically-acclaimed ICON series Powers and many more with the first chapters of these top-selling, critically-acclaimed collections. Just in time for Secret Wars (maybe you’ve heard of it? Secret Wars – the biggest Marvel event ever!), catch up on some of the most celebrated stories in Marvel histories before their appearance in the biggest comic event of 2015!
So what are you excited to see from Marvel in April? Let us know in the comments below!