More solicits today! Just one day after DC gave us an idea of what they have coming before their big move to Burbank, Marvel unleashes its March 2015 solicitations. Frankly, this may be one of the more disappointing solicits in the last few months as there really isn't that much new and exciting stuff to talk about.
Nevertheless, I've been able to pick out 10 of the most note-worthy of Marvel's March 2015 crop of comics, which you can find below. Thanks to Newsarama for the solicits as always. Click the link for the full list.
1. The Quack is Back - So this new series announcement wasn't surprising at all. Was there really any doubt after his post-credits appearance in Guardians of the Galaxy that Howard the Duck WOULDN'T come back? With Chip Zdarsky and Joe Quinones on this book, expect it to be one of the better of Marvel's new series in 2015.
HOWARD THE DUCK #1
CHIP ZDARSKY (w)
JOE QUINONES (A/C)
• HOT off the pages of the … the post-credits scene at the … the end of a … popular movie … HOWARD THE DUCK is back! Join him as he takes on the weird cases that only a talking duck can crack as the Marvel Universe’s resident private investigator!
• Let Sex Criminals’ CHIP ZDARSKY (a writer known mostly as an artist) and JOE QUINONES (an artist known mostly as a lover) guide you through his new world as he takes on THE BLACK CAT and MYSTERIOUS FORCES FROM OUTER SPACE!
2. Princess Leia Debuts - The return of Star Wars to Marvel comes full circle in March with the start of the Princess Leia mini-series. While it is a bit disappointing that it is a mini, at least we get to see Mark Waid join fellow A-list talent like Jason Aaron and Kieron Gillen in the Star Wars Universe.
PRINCESS LEIA #1-2 (of 5)
MARK WAID (w)
TERRY DODSON (a/C)
• When Princess Leia Organa was captured by the Empire as a Rebel spy, she never betrayed her convictions, even in the face of the complete destruction of her home world, Alderaan. When her rescue came, she grabbed a blaster and joined the fight, escaping back to the Rebel Alliance and helping strike the biggest blow against the Empire—the destruction of the Death Star. But in the aftermath of that victory, the question remains...what is a princess without a world?
• Writer Mark Waid (Daredevil, S.H.I.E.L.D.) and artist Terry Dodson (Avengers & X-Men: Axis, Uncanny X-Men) bring us a story of Leia’s quest to help her people and find her place in the galaxy.
3. Hawkeye Gets a Fresh Start - The comic that started it all in Marvel's fantastic line of indie-inspired superhero comics. Hopefully we get the final issues of Matt Fraction's run on Hawkeye before this, but Jeff Lemire will be taking off with his new series in March whether we do or not. Lemire on his first Marvel book should be enough of a selling point for anyone.
ALL-NEW HAWKEYE #1
JEFF LEMIRE (W)
RAMON PEREZ (A/C)
• Hawkeye returns in an all-new series featuring superstar writer Jeff Lemire in his Marvel debut and Eisner Award-winning artist Ramon Perez, as they bring you a fresh new look into the life of everyone’s favorite Avenger. With Kate Bishop, his trusted ward and protégé back at his side (not titles she would use), Team Hawkeye is thrown into an all new adventure spanning two generations of avenging archers. Past and present lives collide as Kate and Clint face a threat that will challenge everything they know about what it means to be Hawkeye.
• But no one puts Hawkeye in a corner.
• Hawkeye and Hawkeye take aim March 2015!
4. A Disney Roller Coaster Gets a Comic - Marvel's Disney Kingdoms line of comics just got a little more interesting. With the announcement of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, not only does this open up the series of theme park ride-inspired comics to take the leap to be big hits, but this one may have the most intriguing idea yet. A Western with a teenage female hero sounds awesome.
BIG THUNDER MOUNTAIN RAILROAD #1 (of 5)
DENNIS HOPELESS (W)
TIGH WALKER (A)
• Millions of fans have climbed aboard the “wildest ride in the wilderness”—and now Marvel hurtles you through the mists of time to reveal the never-before-told saga of how the dangerous gold mine of Big Thunder Mountain became the haunted legend it is today!
• Malevolent mine owner Barnabas T. Bullion is determined to shelter his teen daughter Abigail from the dangers of the Wild West, but this brave young hero has other ideas…which include robbing her own father’s mine as a masked bandit!
• Earthquakes! Floods! Dynamite-chewing goats! Can the denizens of Rainbow Ridge survive the clash between mankind’s greed and nature’s fury? And what is the protective power that dwells deep within the mysterious mountain? Surprises await you in the latest Disney Kingdoms saga by the acclaimed duo of Dennis Hopeless (Spider-Woman) and Tigh Walker (Avengers Undercover)!
5. Who is the New Thor? - That's right...we will still be asking that question come March. And, from the looks of this solicit, we still may not know by issue's end. I trust Jason Aaron, but Malekith showing up again may become a bit too grating.
JASON AARON (W)
RUSSELL DAUTERMAN (A/C)
WHO IS THOR?
• That’s the question on everyone’s lips. Most especially Prince Odinson of Asgard. This issue, he starts to narrow down the list of suspects.
• Meanwhile, tensions continue to flare between the All-Mother and All-Father, Malekith forges his most dangerous pact yet, and Thor prepares to face her greatest challenge!
6. Spider-Gwen vs a New Vulture - Here's a nice bit of synergy for you. Adrian Toomes, the elderly Spider-man foe also known as The Vulture made his first appearance in Amazing Spider-man #2. Now, over 50 years later, Spider-Gwen will face her own Vulture in the second issue of her new series. Given the swapped gender roles of this world, is it too far to assume this new Vulture is also a woman?
JASON LATOUR (w)
ROBBI RODRIGUEZ (a/C)
WHO IS THE VULTURE?!
• Gwen finds herself between a rock (this vulture) and a hard place (the entire NYPD)!
• Don’t miss this second issue of the Spider-Character who set the world on fire!
7. Spider-Man Moves from One Crossover to Another - Not a month after Spider-verse comes to an end and Spider-man will find himself on the cusp of yet another crossover, this one roping in Captain America and the Inhumans. Hopefully this one sticks in a series of one-shots as the solicit implies, but I wouldn't count on Marvel being so nice.
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN SPECIAL #1
JEFF LOVENESS (w)
LUCA PIZZARI (a)
ATTACK ON NEW ATTILAN!
• A blockbuster three-part story spanning AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, INHUMAN and ALL-NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA starts here!
• Something BIG wants to destroy New Attilan. The fact that New Attilan is in the Hudson River puts Manhattan and Spider-Man right in its crosshairs!
• Jeff Loveness (The Jimmy Kimmel Show, DEATH OF WOLVERINE: LOGAN’S LEGACY) pens all three chapters with tremendous artists like Luca Pizzari and connecting variants by super star ADAM KUBERT!
8. Read Star Wars Episode IV - So we already know Marvel is publishing an omnibus of their old Star Wars comics, but you'd be crazy to assume they would save such a thing for only their richer fans. March sees these comics slowly begin to be released in bite sized chunks, with this first hardcover re-telling A New Hope.
STAR WARS: EPISODE IV — A NEW HOPE OGN-HC
Written by ROY THOMAS
Penciled by HOWARD CHAYKIN
Cover by ADI GRANOV
The original comic adaptation of the greatest space-fantasy film of all is remastered for the modern age with all-new coloring by Chris Sotomayor! Weeks before George Lucas’ first STAR WARS film hit theatres, Marvel gave fans their first look at Luke Skywalker, boldly asking: “Will he save the galaxy, or destroy it?” You may know the answer, but that doesn’t spoil the fun of seeing STAR WARS: EPISODE IV — A NEW HOPE like never before…including scenes that never made the silver screen! When Princess Leia is taken prisoner, Luke, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Han Solo, Chewbacca, C-3PO and R2-D2 ride to the rescue and take on Darth Vader in his awesome Death Star. It’s six against a galaxy — one that’s far, far away and a long time ago! May the Force be with you, in the mighty Marvel manner! Collecting STAR WARS (1977) #1-6.
128 PGS./Rated T …$24.99
9. Journey to Weirdworld - Okay, I'm partly putting this one on my list because of its relation to my recent article breaking down Battle World in Jonathan Hickman's upcoming Secret Wars. Weirdworld, Marvel's little known 1970's fantasy series, is set to be a part of Secret Wars and this new collection all but confirms it.
Written by DOUG MOENCH
Penciled by MIKE PLOOG, PAT BRODERICK & JOHN BUSCEMA
Cover by DAVE COCKRUM
Welcome to Weirdworld, a land of legend and lore! Meet Tyndall, a lost elf on a dangerous quest — to the heart of evil and beyond! One that will unite him with the beautiful Velanna, and forge an alliance for the ages. Together with grumpy dwarf Mud-Butt, these warriors of the shadow realm will brave the City of Seven Dark Delights, face the fallen god Darklens and meet the Dragonmaster of Klarn. But will they ever find their way home? From the mind of Doug Moench, and brought to life with incredible artwork by such talents as Mike Ploog and John Buscema, comes a far-out fantasy masterpiece in the mighty Marvel manner! Collecting material from MARVEL PREMIERE #38, MARVEL SUPER ACTION (1976) #1, MARVEL FANFARE (1982) #24-26, MARVEL SUPER SPECIAL #11-13, and EPIC ILLUSTRATED #9 and #11-13.
312 PGS./Rated T+ …$34.99
10. You like Secret Wars? We got your Secret Wars - Love Marvel events and have a spare $500? You are going to LOVE March 2015. Marvel continues to prepare its readers for both Avengers: Age of Ultron and Secret Wars and this HUGE collection includes just about everything Secret Wars you could ever want.
MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS: BATTLEWORLD BOX SET SLIPCASE
Get the complete legacy of Marvel’s SECRET WARS saga in this action-packed, eleven-volume box set! Featuring the original heroes-vs.-villains showdown on the Beyonder’s Battleworld, the big B’s journey to Earth and the line-wide crossover that ensued, Nick Fury’s highly hush-hush Secret War, and more! All the tie-ins, follow-ups and alternate takes — including a Spidey-centric look at the first Secret Wars, the wildest Thing adventure of all time, and a rematch of good and evil as a very different group get whisked to Battleworld! Plus: an entire volume full of all the special features we could find, as well as a poster showcasing Alex Ross’ sublime version of the iconic cover to SECRET WARS #1! This is one box set that goes above and Beyonder! Includes MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS: TO BATTLEWORLD AND BACK PREMIERE HC, MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS PREMIERE HC, THING: BATTLEWORLD PREMIERE HC, SECRET WARS II VOL. 1 PREMIERE HC, SECRET WARS II VOL. 2 PREMIERE HC, SECRET WARS II VOL. 3 PREMIERE HC, SECRET WARS II VOL. 4 PREMIERE HC, MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS AFTERMATH PREMIERE HC, SECRET WAR PREMIERE HC, BEYOND THE SECRET WARS PREMIERE HC, MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS: BEHIND THE SCENES PREMIERE HC; POSTER.
Rated T+ …$500.00
So what are you excited to see from Marvel in March of 2015? Let us know in the comments below!