Below you will find my list of the 10 most noteworthy solicits in no particular order. Feel free to check out CBR for the full listing.
We knew this was coming once Disney bought Lucasfilm, and now the time has arrived...Star Wars makes its triumphant return to Marvel Comics! Normally, I wouldn't bat an eye at this sort of thing, but Jason Aaron writing this book automatically makes it a must read. Variant covers abound including the beautiful Alex Ross cover (pictured above) and a connective cover with the Princess Leia and Darth Vader series by Skottie Young (pictured below).
STAR WARS #1
JASON AARON (W)
JOHN CASSADAY (A/C)
THE GREATEST SPACE ADVENTURE OF ALL TIME RETURNS TO MARVEL!
Luke Skywalker and the ragtag band of rebels fighting against the Galactic Empire are fresh off their biggest victory yet—the destruction of the massive battle station known as the Death Star. But the Empire's not toppled yet! Join Luke along with Princess Leia, smugglers Han Solo and Chewbacca, droids C-3PO and R2-D2 and the rest of the Rebel Alliance as they strike out for freedom against the evil forces of Darth Vader and his master, the Emperor. Written by Jason Aaron (Original Sin, Thor: God of Thunder) and with art by John Cassaday (Astonishing X-Men, Uncanny Avengers), this is the Star Wars saga as only Marvel Comics could make it!
48 PGS./Rated T ...$4.99
2. She-Hulk Cancelled - This is perhaps the most shocking solicit of all of Marvel's January 2015 output, but the new year will begin with the ending of Charles Soule's utterly brilliant run on She-Hulk. Sales have not been amazing for the book, but critical and fan praise has been through the roof for Soule's writing and Javier Pulido's art. Perhaps fan outrage will be enough for Marvel to relaunch this book with a new #1 before 2015 ends. (No cover for this issue just yet)
CHARLES SOULE (W)
JAVIER PULIDO (A)
• The end of the Blue File...and the end of an era!
• But when one door closes, another one opens, and Jen finds herself face to face with her most important case yet.
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99
3. Uncanny Avengers Starts Anew - With AXIS coming to an end at the same time of 2014, 2015 brings about a freshly re-launched Uncanny Avengers title (still written by Remender). Though our Summer 2015 event seems more tied to Hickman's run on Avengers and New Avengers, the solicit for this one has me wondering if ALL Avengers books will come together this summer (makes sense considering a certain May 2015 film...)
UNCANNY AVENGERS #1
RICK REMENDER (w)
DANIEL ACUNA (a/C)
COUNTER-EVOLUTIONARY PART 1
• From the ashes of AXIS an all-new, all different Avengers assemble!
• The tragedy at the end of AXIS has left the Uncanny Avengers vulnerable, and someone is taking advantage of it.
• One of the Avengers oldest foes returns with a terrible secret that will, all hyperbole aside, shatter the lives of two members of the squad.
• What is Counter-Earth? What terrible secrets does it house?
32 PGS./Rated T ...$3.99
4. Ant-Man Gets His Own Series (Again) - Another comic that is not much of a surprise considering certain upcoming 2015 movies. The all new Ant-Man series stars Scott Lang as the titular hero, seeing him meet up with the Superior Iron Man. I can't say that I'm going to be picking this one up (mostly due to this issue's price tag), but the self-depricating influence of Fraction's Hawkeye is probably the best route.
NICK SPENCER (w)
RAMON ROSANAS (a)
• Scott Lang has never exactly been the world's best super hero. Heck, most people don't even think he's been the best ANT-MAN -- and the last guy invented Ultron and joined the Masters of Evil, so that's saying something.
• But when the SUPERIOR IRON MAN calls with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, Scott's going to get a chance to turn it all around and be the hero he's always dreamed of being.
• Sure he's been to prison! Sure he's been through a messy divorce! Sure he's been, um... dead. But this time is different! This time nothing is gonna stop the astonishing ANT-MAN!
40 PGS./Rated T+ ...$4.99
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #13
DAN SLOTT (W)
GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI (A)
SPIDER-VERSE PART 5 - THE FINAL BATTLE BEGINS HERE!
• EVERY SPIDER-MAN EVER MUST FIGHT AND NO SPIDER IS SAFE!
32 PGS./Rated T ...$3.99
6. Thor v Thor - As of writing this, we still do not officially know who the new, female Thor really is (although I may or may not be privy to certain info). Nevertheless, she and the now unworthy Thor will be squaring off pretty quickly into the relaunched title. Should be fun to see!
JASON AARON (W)
RUSSELL DAUTERMAN (A/C)
• The Odinson is back. And he clearly doesn't like that someone else is holding his hammer. You know what that means, right?
• THOR VS. THOR!!!
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99
7. Peggy Carter Comes to Comics - Yet another example of Marvel providing a comic for those getting their entry to the Marvel U from the cinematic universe. With Peggy Carter making her TV debut in 2015, she will also be showing up in the comics as well...except in a mini-series. Not sure if I like it tying into Original Sin so many months later, but this one could be fun!
OPERATION S.I.N. #1 (OF 5)
KATHRYN IMMONEN (W)
RICH ELLIS (A)
• Tying into the explosive events of ORIGINAL SIN, see an untold story from the origins of the Marvel Universe!
• After an alien energy source is discovered in Russia in the early 1950's, it's up to Peggy Carter and Howard Stark to find out what happened.
• But a newly-risen terrorist group going by the name Hydra also happens to be on the hunt for their own nefarious purposes!
• It's only when a mysterious operative going by the name of Woodrow McCord enters the picture to aid Peggy and Howard that they realize just how far some people are willing to go to keep the Earth safe!
• Megawatt writer Kathryn Immonen (JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY) is joined by rising star artist Rich Ellis (SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN) to tell an all-new tale featuring AGENT CARTER!
32 PGS./Rated T ...$3.99
8. Fantastic Four Moves to a Close (Again) - Once again Marvel finds itself on the brink of cancelling another run of Fantastic Four. Sales plummeting and rumors of an unspoken feud with 20th Century Fox are among the culprits many blame for this happening. We know this won't be forever, so hopefully the next creative team will actually give a damn about these characters.
FANTASTIC FOUR #642
JAMES ROBINSON (W)
LEONARD KIRK (A/C)
THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS
• THE INVADERS meet the FANTASTIC FOUR as the hunt for REED RICHARDS and the missing kids of the FUTURE FOUNDATION continues.
• Meanwhile the mastermind behind everything unveils his ultimate plan.
• But how does FRANKLIN RICHARDS factor in?
• Guest starring JIM HAMMOND, NAMOR, THE NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA and...DOC GREEN?
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99
9. X-Factor Takes a Final Bow (Again) - Peter David's most recent incarnation of X-Factor has kind of gone a bit unnoticed...which is probably why it will be coming to a close in January with issue 20. Personally, I've really enjoyed this book and I'll be pretty sad to get it go. It was truly the only readable X-book on the shelves.
ALL-NEW X-FACTOR #19 & 20
PETER DAVID (w)
ISSUE #19 - CARMINE DI GIANDOMENICO (a) ISSUE #20 - Alex Garner (A)
ISSUE #19 -
• It was supposed to be a straightforward mission for the team: go into a foreign country at war with its neighbor, discover the tunnels that the enemy had created and get rid of them.
• Unfortunately things have gone extremely wrong and now a vengeful Egyptian goddess has been set free, and the first people she's targeting are X-Factor.
ISSUE #20 -
• At last – the revelation behind the secret of Harrison Snow. Guest starring: Spider-Man 2099.
• Final issue!
32 PGS.(EACH)/Rated T+ ...$3.99 (EACH)
10. Hawkeye Gets an Omnibus - If, for some reason, you have missed out on the critically acclaimed Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and David Aja, you must have been under a comics hole for the past several years. With several of the final issues of this series being delayed, this may not end up coming in January, but it is currently solicited to. I wouldn't pay $100 for it, but this will definitely be a must own for anyone who enjoys comics.
HAWKEYE BY MATT FRACTION & DAVID AJA OMNIBUS HC
Written by MATT FRACTION
Penciled by DAVID AJA, JAVIER PULIDO, JESSE HAMM, STEVE LIEBER, FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA, ANNIE WU, CHRIS ELIOPOULOS & ALAN DAVIS
Cover by DAVID AJA
Marvel's most critically acclaimed comic in recent memory! Clint Barton, breakout star of a little Marvel movie you might have seen a while back, continues his fight for justice — and good rooftop BBQs! With Young Avenger Kate Bishop by his side, he's out to get some downtime from being one of Earth's Mightiest Heroes — but when the apartment building he's moved into, and the neighbors he's befriended, are threatened by a tracksuit-wearing, dog-abusing gang of Eastern European mobsters who say "bro" an awful lot, Clint must stand up and defend his new adopted family...any way he can. It's Hawkguy, Kate, Pizza Dog et al. against the Clown, Madame Masque, the tracksuits and more in a fantastic, Eisner Award-nominated reinvention of the arrowed Avenger! Bro, you read this book. Okay, bro? Collecting HAWKEYE (2012) #1-22 and ANNUAL #1, and YOUNG AVENGERS PRESENTS #6.
552 PGS./Rated T+ ...$99.99
That's it for me for this month! What are you excited for as Marvel starts the new year? Let us know in the comments!