Apologies for this article being a week late, but I have been on vacation for the past few days. While I was gone, DC released their solicitations for what to expect in January 2015. Quite a few surprises are in store for the new year in the New 52, and, while they may not be as controversial as one of Marvel's solicits, there's still some good stuff.
Below you will find my picks for the 10 most noteworthy solicits from the bunch. Be sure to check out CBR for the full listing.
1. Damian Wayne is Back! - Even though Robin Rises has not yet wrapped up in the pages of Batman & Robin,we already know its conclusion: Damian Wayne is back as the Boy Wonder! Many fans will be happy to see this, especially since DC was able to let the character stay dead for a little over a year. It looks like Damian will be coming back from Apokolips with super powers. Not sure how I feel about that, but it could be interesting.
BATMAN AND ROBIN #38
Written by PETER J. TOMASI
Art by PATRICK GLEASON
On sale JANUARY 21 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
The team of Batman and Robin are together again! But what is the new dynamic for this crimefighting duo now that Damian has super powers of his own?
2. A Guide to the Multiverse - If for some reason you have not been reading Grant Morrison's epic series of one-shots titled The Multiversity, it must be very sad to be you. In just three issues, Multiversity has proven to be the must read superhero comic event of the year. January will see the release of a guidebook to all 52 Earths of the DC Universe. Even if you aren't reading The Multiversity, this would probably be a nice buy for any DC fan.
THE MULTIVERSITY GUIDEBOOK #1
Written by GRANT MORRISON
Art by NICOLA SCOTT, GARY FRANK, KLAUS JANSON, CAMERON STEWART, DAN JURGENS, CHRIS SPROUSE, BEN OLIVER and others
Cover by RIAN HUGHES
On sale JANUARY 21 • 80 pg, FC, $7.99 US
The guidebook to the greatest adventure in DC’s history is here!
With a detailed concordance featuring each of the 52 worlds in the Multiverse, a complete history of DC Comics’ universe-shattering “Crisis” events, a map of all known existence, AND an action-packed dual adventure starring Kamandi of Earth-51 alongside the post-apocalyptic Atomic Knight Batman of Earth-17 and chibi Batman of Earth-42, this 80-page mountain of MULTIVERSITY madness cannot be missed!
The MULTIVERSITY GUIDEBOOK contains everything you ever wanted to know about DC’s parallel worlds and their super-heroic inhabitants. Meet the Agents of W.O.N.D.E.R. The Light Brigade, the Super-Americans and the Love Syndicate! Meet the Accelerated Man, Aquaflash, BiOmac and more!
Overflowing with today’s top artists and completely written by Grant Morrison himself, readers of the DC Universe can’t afford to pass up this oversized, sixth chapter of MULTIVERSITY!
3. Batman Brawl - Okay, okay. I'm probably the only person still reading Futures End, but I feel that the weekly book has greatly improved. January sees several storylines kicked into high gear, but none will probably get as much attention as the battle of the Batmans. Batman, Batman Beyond, Red Robin, and Bruce Wayne of the future gather together to duke it out. No idea why, but I'm sure Brother Eye and Mr. Terrific are involved. Can't wait to see how this pans out.
THE NEW 52: FUTURES END #38
Written by BRIAN AZZARELLO, JEFF LEMIRE, DAN JURGENS and KEITH GIFFEN
Art by ANDY McDONALD
On sale JANUARY 21 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
The fight you knew was coming since issue #12 – and you’ve been dreading since issue #23! Batman, Batman Beyond, Tim Drake, and...you know who!
4. Superman Goes Supernatural - Batman is no stranger to the supernatural. Hell, DC is launching an entire book in November dedicated to the supernatural aspects of Gotham City. But horror is not really a genre Superman finds himself in very often. That looks to be changing with the latest arc of Action Comics. This is definitely a very engaging cover, and I trust Greg Pak, so this could be very interesting indeed. Zombies are a bit played out, though...
ACTION COMICS #38
Written by GREG PAK
Art by AARON KUDER
On sale JANUARY 7 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US
Please see the order form for details.
The Horror of Smallville has been unleashed on the world! Superman must stop the evil undead threat of the Ultrahumanite from crushing humanity!
5. Joker's Mayhem Continues - I'll admit...I had a pretty luke warm reaction to the Joker's surprise return in the pages of Batman. I found Death of the Family to be the weakest story arc Scott Snyder has penned thus far in the New 52, but Greg Capullo's art only continues to get better as this series goes on. That and what appears to be an even darker story make me intrigued about where this story may go.
Written by SCOTT SNYDER
Backup story written by SCOTT SNYDER and JAMES TYNION IV
Art by GREG CAPULLO
Backup story art by SAM KIETH
On sale JANUARY 14 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US
“Endgame” part 4. The Joker is back! This time, no more funny stuff. And in the backup story, five Arkham Asylum escapees share their encounters with The Joker!
6. Gotham's Haunted Hospital - When it comes to horror stories/movies, I'm a bit of a sucker for hospitals. Outside of all the disease and death which can happen inside a hospital's walls, often the buildings can be quite creepy at night when no one is around. For that reason alone, I'm really excited to see how creepy the hospital of Gotham City of all places turns out. And with Ben Templesmith providing the visuals? A nice late Halloween present for me.
GOTHAM BY MIDNIGHT #3
Written by RAY FAWKES
Art by BEN TEMPLESMITH
On sale JANUARY 28 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
There’s a dark secret in Gotham General Hospital – a supernatural menace that could infect the whole city! But Detective Lisa Drake of the Midnight Shift has a dark secret of her own…and when this new threat brings it out, the only thing Jim Corrigan can do is get out of the way!
7. Fairest Comes to a Close - 2015 is going to be a very sad year for us Fables fans, and it all starts in January. Though Fables will continue for another two months, spin-off series Fairest meets its end at the beginning of the year. The female-centric series has been a nice change of pace from Jack of Fables, featuring a wide array of writing and artistic talent. Bill Willingham providing a Goldilocks story, however, feels like a fitting conclusion.
Written by BILL WILLINGHAM
Art by MEGHAN HETRICK
On sale JANUARY 7 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
This final issue of FAIREST features a special stand-alone story written by Bill Willingham! Don’t miss the return of fan-favorite maniac Goldilocks, with art by Meghan Hetrick (BODIES, BATMAN ETERNAL, THE JOKER’S DAUGHTER) and a special horizontal format cover by Adam Hughes!
8. A New Fables Series Begins - So maybe 2015 won't be COMPLETELY depressing for Fables fans. Vertigo's first ever digital-first series, The Wolf Among Us, makes its print debut at the beginning of the new year. While I'm a bit uneasy about this beginning as an adaptation of TellTale's popular video game, I hope it can evolve into a quality Fables prequel once that story is told. Matthew Sturges having experience writing some of these characters is a huge source of relief.
FABLES: THE WOLF AMONG US #1
Written by MATTHEW STURGES and DAVE JUSTUS
Art by STEVE SADOWSKI, SHAWN McMANUS and TRAVIS MOORE
On sale JANUARY 14 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US
Even before the first issue of FABLES, there were stories to be told, shadowy avenues to explore, and lives hanging in the balance! Bigby Wolf has seen plenty in his time as Sheriff of Fabletown…but nothing can prepare him for this...
It all starts with a simple domestic disturbance. But when Bigby learns that his old nemesis, the Woodsman who has an axe to grind, is part of the scene, things go downhill fast. And how will Bigby and Snow White keep their heads long enough to crack the case when they get caught up in a grisly murder mystery?
Vertigo’s first-ever digital-first series, FABLES: THE WOLF AMONG US is a gripping adaptation and expansion of the smash-hit video game from Telltale Games, and an official prequel to Bill Willingham’s bestselling FABLES! Written by FABLES alum Matthew Sturges (JACK OF FABLES) and Dave Justus (HOUSE OF MYSTERY), with art by Stephen Sadowski (JSA), Shawn McManus (FABLES/FAIREST), and Travis Moore (JSA ALL STARS)!
9. Secret Six Goes Back to Print - Gail Simone's run on Secret Six is a huge fan favorite. So much so that DC is bringing the series back as well as Simone. Not only that, but 2015 will see the beginning of that original run seeing a re-print in trade paperback. I'm a sucker for villain teams, so I'll probably pick this one up.
SECRET SIX VOL. 1: VILLAINS UNITED TP
Written by GAIL SIMONE
Art by BRAD WALKER, JIMMY PALMIOTTI, DALE EAGLESHAM and others
On sale FEBRUARY 11 • 328 pg, FC, $19.99 US
Collecting the stories that led into INFINITE CRISIS from VILLAINS UNITED #1-6, the SECRET SIX 6-issue miniseries and VILLAINS UNITED: INFINITE CRISIS SPECIAL #1! Six of justice’s deadliest enemies have banded together to keep the super-heroic community from tampering with their minds – and to show just how deadly they can be!
10. Flash Variant Covers - January 2015 is the 75th anniversary of The Flash! While Barry, Wally, and Jay will not be enjoying the same level of celebration as Superman and Batman did, they do at least get their own variant covers. Some of the better ones pictured here:
Justice League #38 by Tony Harris
Justice League United #8 by Karl Kerschl
Aquaman #38 by Steve Rude
Teen Titans #6 by Michael Allred
What are you looking forward to from DC this January? Let us know in the comments below. Be sure to come back next month for DC and Marvel's February 2015 line-ups!